Thursday 25 August 2016

Moving onwards and hopefully upwards

The last post was a long time ago, and with fair reason, although it was never my intention for them to drop off entirely. While I highly doubt there was anyone waiting with baited breath for the next update I apologise if there was.

SO... basically I got a job. Then another one, then rekindled a hobby, then ... you know ... stayed busy!

The job was in the Peak District National Park, building a footpath as part of a moorland restoration project. That went well, despite working through the tail end of winter and a very cold spring, regularly in snow or sleet and in one of the most exposed places possible in the UK south of the Lake District. Anyway, it was good, and the organisation over-seeing the project started hiring just as I was finishing up for the season, one thing led to another and for the last 2 1/2 months I've been working for the Moors for the Future Partnership as a Conservation Works Officer.



This is basically as good as it sounds and has involved learning a lot, being out doors a lot and even the odd ride in a helicopter to remote work sites... I know, I know its a tough job.

Around half way through the first of these jobs an idea I have been mulling over off and on since I was a teenager made a very obvious sub-conscious push for dominance and I decided to invest in a better (second hand still) camera and try to make something of my photography: for so long a hobby it seemed the time was right to make it something more.



As a result Wild Guy Photography was born and a lot of the efforts I had been putting into this blog have been redirected into that, including a new blog as part of the new web page. The subject matter is slightly different, but only in the sense that it includes more photo's. The theme if you will of my efforts and hopefully of my photographs is still how fascinating the natural world and its occupants are but with the new job my visits to the 'local patches have sadly been few and far between, I certainly don't have anything like the time I used to to visit them as I leave home for work before 7am and often get home after 6pm - busy days when you add coming home to a young family in the mix. Of course I have a new local patch now, my commute runs straight through the National Park and affords me beautiful views (when it's not foggy) not to mention the sites I get to visit 'in the line of duty'. Lets just say I'm not quite starved of natural nourishment despite the reduced time for local outings.



Anyway, as a result of this I'll be transferring my attention on a permanent basis to the Wild Guy bits and pieces but would welcome anyone who might be interested in continuing to follow me to do so either via the website and blog (www.wildguy.co.uk) or my Facebook page (here), Twitter feed (here), Instagram account (here) or anywhere else I may show up in the future.

Thanks for reading, hopefully see you again.

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment