Friday 20 November 2015

Learning by doing: Photographing Invertebrates


We often hear that different people learn in different ways.
I find that I learn best by applying: what more enjoyable 
way to learn than through wildlife photography! 



A few weeks back I made it pretty clear how fascinating I found dragonflies and how much fun I had had photographing them. What I didn't really mention was that was also how I had learned about them. I bought a book, made some time, went out and photographed as many as I could, then came home and identified as many as I could. Next time I went out I was able to identify a few in the field and by the time I had repeated this many times I was pretty good at identifying those species I saw most often, even if I do say so myself. At the very least I was A LOT better than I had been.


When I started getting more comfortable with Dragonflies, to add another level to my learning I bought a decent butterfly guide - while a generic 'British Insects' book may be OK for beginners and children when you start getting more in depth with identification you really need a better guide. I went through the same process, making time to go out specifically to photograph butterflies, then identifying them from the photographs to help me learn. My next 'project' which I was just starting towards to the end of this summer is Hover flies, with Bees and Wasps next on the list... also Beetles and Moths one day (scary!) and we'll go to there for now!  


I know this sounds like a pretty simple process but it taught me a lot more than you may think. Let me explain just a couple of the subtle lessons which I have learned and am still learning through this process that may not be quite so obvious. These simple lessons apply to all the groups I have been learning to identify in this way, but some more to one group than another. I'll use examples from my attempts to photograph butterflies, and illustrate it with butterfly pictures for today because I've already used many of my dragonfly photos and haven't got that many decent hover fly pictures yet.


1)  Diagnostic features: While some species could only really be that one species when you have a good look at them, others are far more difficult to tell apart. Of all the species I have come across so far I found the 'Blues' the hardest to tell apart. I have yet to get anywhere to see any Fritillaries but based on what I have seen in the ID guide I've got to admit to being a bit apprehensive about trying to ID them because, to my eyes at least, they all look so similar. 


ID from a photograph forces you to really understand what you are looking for to confirm that Identification. If the photo you have taken doesn't clearly show that feature it will stick in your head and the next time you are out photographing that species you'll want to aim to capture that feature so you can be sure. For me this process of photographing, checking, re-photographing etc etc really helps to make those features stick in my mind and much more likely that I will remember them long term. 

2) Habits & behaviours: After a few outings you'll instinctively know the best places to look for butterflies. Some places are obviously better than others but by understanding the best possible places to check you save time and get more photo's. More importantly knowing where there are likely to be butterflies it allows you to change your approach. Power walking through a flower meadow any possible subjects will have flown long before you are ready to photograph them, especially as it is so much easier to photograph them when they are stationary. Instead you can target likely areas then approach slowly with your camera ready so that as soon as you spot a potential subject you can approach carefully without spooking it. 


If you do spook it watch it, see how it behaves: does it circle around a few times then land back in the same place? does it circle around a few times then land close by on similar flower? or does it just fly for the hills until its out of sight? After watching a few times you'll know what to expect allowing you to be prepared for it, given you a better chance of getting that photo. If you go out on less than ideal days weather wise you may also be able to find the sort of places butterflies like to shelter, giving you an opportunity to see them up close when they are less likely to scarper.


Perhaps the most useful behaviour I have tried to learn, at least in terms of taking photographs is where they are most likely to bask in the morning to warm up. Not only at this time do they tend to have their wings wide open to absorb as much heat as possible so they are more visible, but if they are still relatively cool they won't fly away. This gives you more time than you'll often have to get a decent photo. Also on the photography side of things the lower less harsh light early in the morning makes for better photographs.


So, I guess the point of this post today was just to show that anyone can learn about anything they want to if they find an approach that works for them and sticks with it. I went through 4 1/2 years of University study  and learned an awful lot of things. But I honestly learn't more about the identification and behaviour of a specific group of invertebrates in one summer with one book and a lot of time spent out of doors than I did in all those lectures. So find what works for you and do it. If it helps you improve another skill along the way, for me it was my photography (i won't show you my early pictures of insects...) all the better.

Hope you enjoyed reading this.

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment